Friday, March 2, 2012

Mrs. Grouchy Saved Me

My family moved down to St. George Utah my senior year of high school. That meant I had to get to know a whole different ward, a group of people that attend services at the same time. Well I remember meeting one lady that I thought was simply a grouch. She always looked kind of mad and I didn't feel that her tone of voice was always the nicest. Well luckily for me, or so I thought, she worked with the older ladies and I was still in the youth group age so I didn't really have to associate with her very frequently.

Fast forward a couple of years. My family is still in the same ward in St. George and I am just on my break in between semesters from college. That fall break was the hardest one that I had ever gone through. Towards the middle of it I had just broken up with someone I really cared about. I felt very alone and lost. At the same time our ward boundaries changed and I knew hardly anyone which made me feel even more alone. One Sunday when I felt really alone and just having a hard day I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and it was the lady that I thought was really grouchy. Well she started to ask me how I was doing and just talked to me. Because of that conversation I felt loved. I felt that God really was aware of me but more importantly people around me were aware of me.Instead of just passing me by and thinking that someone younger could comfort me she took the time to talk to me. I think back on how much she blessed me that day and how much more I could have been blessed by her if I just had taken the time to get to know her instead of thinking that she was the grouchy lady.

President Monson said this about judging others "Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this profound truth: 'If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”' The Savior has admonished, 'This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.'  I ask: can we love one another, as the Savior has commanded, if we judge each other? And I answer—with Mother Teresa: no, we cannot."

So let us take the time to get to know people and the situation before we judge. Let us learn to love all those taht are around us.We may never know they could be the exact person that we need some help.

Here is just a fun clip based on President Monson's talk. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment